Last week, "Live Wire! Radio" host Courtenay Hameister asked me to attend a taping of her OPB variety show and do one of my "live comics adaptations" -- where I hastily sketch the show while I'm watching it, like I've been doing for the Portland Opera.
And so on Friday, April 29, I showed up at the Alberta Rose Theatre in northeast Portland -- where "Live Wire!" taped two episodes in front of a wildly enthusiastic audience. I sat in the front row and tried to draw what I saw as it was happening. All 25 speed-sketches are after the jump. Click on any picture to enlarge.
1. DUDE THE ALBERTA ROSE THEATRE SELLS PIES (sweet and savory)
3. Tyler Hughs warms up the crowd before the taping
4. While Tyler does this, "Live Wire!" host Courtenay Hameister paces around in little circles below the stage
8. Courtenay is troubled by writing advice she heard from impending guest Mike Sacks
9. And hey it's a performance by Celilo
11. "Live Wire!" Musical Director Ralph Huntley has certain Wolverine-esque qualities
12. The show's "Siren of Sound" Pat Janowski makes the audience do her bidding
13. Screenwriter/storyteller Beth Lisick sort of screwed the '90s "slam poetry" craze to the wall during her segment
16. A "Live Wire!" musician listens from the sidelines as Mike Sacks talks w/ Courtenay
18. David Bazan performed a very fine song called "Strange Negotiations"
19. For his segment, Matthew Dickman read a poem about ...
21. "Live Wire!" "Foley Fox" Pat Janowski makes sounds effects, Part 1
23. Author Susie Bright talks about sex during her segment